Struck by an Uninsured Motorist? Here’s What to Do Next

Being involved in a car accident is a frightening, stressful, and emotionally overwhelming experience no matter the circumstances. However, it can be especially frustrating if you are struck by a motorist who is uninsured or underinsured. Although it is required that all drivers in New York carry auto insurance, not everyone does. To help you obtain financial compensation for your injuries and damages, here’s what to do next.
Seek medical attention.
If yourself or any of your passengers were injured in the crash, dial 911 immediately.
Gather information.
It’s important that you record as much information about the accident as possible. Take pictures of the accident scene as well as any damage done to your car and injuries sustained. Ask for contact details of any witnesses, and take down the make, model, and license plate of the other car involved, if possible. 
Call the police.
Inform the police of the crash and let them know the driver is uninsured. Having a police report on file can help to speed up your claims process.
Call your insurer.
The first step is to see what type of car insurance you have on your policy. If you have Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist coverage, you can fall back on your insurance. This cover can help to pay for damages, up to the limits of your policy, if the at-fault driver doesn’t have enough – or any – insurance to compensate you for your injuries or damages. Without this coverage, it may be extremely difficult to secure any compensation.
Were you hit by a hit and run driver? These tips can help.
Find out how to secure reliable auto insurance to protect your vehicle and wallet from accidents. Talk to the team at Kneller Agency today.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.