Essential Tips to Keep You Safe While Driving in the Dark
Fall brings shorter days. Driving to and from work in the dark is rarely anyone’s idea of fun, especially when paired with cold New York temperatures. Driving in the dark can be an intimidating experience for many drivers, but in fall we cannot avoid it. While auto insurance in Tilden Place, NY acts to safeguard your finances, here are some tips on how to drive safely in the dark so accidents do not occur.
- Be prepared for the unexpected by driving at a speed that will allow you to spot hazards in good time. Even if you know the roads like the back of your hand, everything may look distorted in the dark.
- Clean your windshield on the inside and out, since a windshield with debris and dirt will only hinder your visibility.
- Check that all of your lights are in working order before you set off.
- Protect your eyes by not looking directly into the headlights of oncoming traffic. If possible, safely look as far ahead and to the right as you can.
- Dim your dashboard lights with the dimmer switch. This can help you to see clearly outside your vehicle and avoid being dazzled by the bright interior lights.
- Be aware that you may encounter wildlife when driving on roads away from the city. You can often see the reflection of your headlights in an animal’s eyes long before you see the animal itself.
- Clean and adjust your exterior mirrors. Aim them downward slightly to see the cars behind you better and prevent being temporarily blinded by their headlights.
- Keep your eyes healthy by having regular check-ups at the optician.
When you’re looking to protect your journey and vehicle, talk to the team at Kneller Agency. We are here to help you find suitable auto insurance coverage that will protect you throughout the dark fall nights and beyond! We serve motorists in Chatham, Copake, Valatie, Tilden Place, and neighboring cities of New York. Contact us today to get started.
Comments are closed.