Light the fire this winter season with fireplace safety tips in mind.
If you 're suffering from the chilly winter nights, you 're not alone. Millions of Americans stoke up their fireplaces for the evening to heat their homes and toast their toes. To protect your home in the best means possible, it 's critical to keep fireplace safety tips in the forefront of your mind.
Prep your fireplace:
Keep fires burning safely:
- Hire a professional chimney sweep to rid the interior of debris and creosote. If you 're lucky enough to have yet to light your fire, do this step before starting using your fireplace for the first time this year.
- Only burn seasoned and dry wood that has been left to dry for six months or more.
- If you have an open fireplace, get a wire mesh screen to stand in front of it so that sparks don 't land on carpets or furniture, potentially igniting.
- Keep the area around the hearth clear of debris, decorations, and combustible materials.
- When starting a fire, only use a match or commercial firelighter. Never start it with flammable liquids.
- Never leave a fire unattended!
- Never burn a Christmas tree in your fireplace as the sparks from the burning needle can increase the risk for a chimney fire.
- Never burn plastic in the fireplace. It can release toxic chemicals and cause damage to your chimney, fireplace, or wood stove.
- Make your winter even safer, take the time to test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. These alarms can save your home and family from injury and damage.
With your fireplace blazing and your furnace ready for winter
, you can enjoy the festivities in a warm home! Visit the professionals
at Lofgren Agency in Hudson, New York, to determine the right homeowners insurance
to protect your home this year and beyond!