June is Men’s Health Awareness Month
Since June is Men’s Health Awareness Month, we thought we would take this opportunity to encourage men to get a check-up. Although everyone is busy these days, and visiting the doctor for a check-up often falls to the bottom of the to-do list, healthcare screenings are important for everyone. The purpose of Men’s Health Month is to heighten the awareness of preventable health problems and encourage early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys.
- Self exams for testicular cancer. Perform monthly checks for testicular masses. If you find anything unusual, visit your primary care provider or urologist.
- Depending on your situation, it can be a good time to control reproduction through vasectomy.
- Prostate cancer screening. Generally, men between 40-55 should begin receiving prostate cancer screenings.
- Enlarged prostate. Symptoms of prostate enlargement include decreased urinary stream, increased urgency/frequency of urination, a stream that starts/stops during the course of urinating, difficulty starting the stream and getting up at night to urinate.
- Testicular self exams are still recommended.
- Prostate cancer. This type of cancer is most common in men of this age.
- Urinary symptoms. Men may have worsening urinary symptoms or even incontinence from bladder or prostate issues.
Even though physical health should be considered this month, don’t forget about mental health. Mental health is just as important, yet rarely spoken about. If you are struggling, don’t be afraid to reach out to friends, family, and a professional psychologist.
While you focus on caring for your health this season, leave your insurance needs to the professionals at Kneller Agency in New York. Contact us for more information.
Comments are closed.