Protect your home from the deadly carbon monoxide gas.

With winter approaching, that means more time spent indoors with heaters being used and hearty meals being made. While we warm up this season, it’s important for homeowners not to forget the silent killer that could be lurking in their home – carbon monoxide (CO). Keeping your home safe from carbon monoxide can be tricky business, mainly because this gas is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. In other words, it is invisible for humans and only devices can positively detect the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Sources
Carbon monoxide comes from the burning of fuel. This includes oil, natural gas, and bottled gas in home heating systems, as well as gas burned in vehicles. With many heaters and ovens being used more than ever during the cooler months, now is the time to ensure that your home is safe.
Signs of CO Poisoning
Exposure to carbon monoxide can result in a variety of symptoms, often being confused with a cold or the flu.

  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Loss of muscle coordination

If you noticed that you have these symptoms while at home but not when you’re out of the house, it could be an indication that there is a CO leak in your home.
Safety Tips

  • Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Test them regularly and replace the batteries as needed.
  • Never operate fuel-burning equipment indoors.
  • Hire a professional to service your heating systems before using them during winter.
  • Clean your chimney yearly.
  • Never leave a car running inside a garage with the garage doors closed.
  • Do not use gas ovens or stoves to heat your home.

While you check that your home is safe from carbon monoxide, let the professionals handle your insurance policies. For the right home insurance for your needs and budget, contact the team at Lofgren Agency today, serving Hudson and neighboring cities in New York.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Letter To Our Valued Clients Regarding COVID-19 Click Here