Whip Up These Stuffed Peppers for National Nutrition Month
Did you know that March is National Nutrition Month? This month is designed to encourage everyone to take a better look at their health and diet. In honor of this, we’ve chosen to share a healthy, delicious, and highly nutritious recipe with you. These peppers are stuffed with veggies and plant-based protein, making them perfect for the whole family to enjoy!
- 6 large bell peppers (any color), top cut off and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8oz) packages tempeh, crumbled
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup yellow squash, diced
- 8 oz. package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 can (14oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked rice
- mineral salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute: In a large skillet, heat oil/water over medium heat, add onion, garlic and crumbled tempeh, saute for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, parsley, salt and pepper, and tomato sauce, cook for 2 minutes or so. Add rice and mix to combine. Remove from heat.
- Stuff bell peppers: Fill each bell pepper with vegetable mixture, making sure to pack it well. These are hefty stuffed bell peppers. Cover with lid or tin foil.
- Bake: Add optional cheese on top, cover the baking dish with lid or tin foil, and bake on the center rack for 35 – 40 minutes. Remove cover, top with optional grated cheese and bake for another 5 – 10 more minutes. Cooking times vary, adjust to suit your needs.
- Once done, let cool a few minutes and serve with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley.
Did you try this recipe? Let us know! For all of your personal and commercial insurance needs, contact the team at Kneller Agency.
Comments are closed.