Secure your home with homeowners insurance in Hudson for the holidays.
Whether you’re heading south for winter or hitting the slopes, family vacations are often on the cards when it holiday season hits. While you may be focused on the fun times ahead, there are some important safety tips that you should remember before you leave your home vacant over the season. From securing homeowners insurance in Hudson to protecting it from thieves and burst pipes, here’s how you can prepare.
Make your home appear as though it is lived in.
- Forward your mail, stop newspaper deliveries, and ask a friend or neighbor to collect mail while you’re away.
- Put your lights on a timer so that they come on during the evening.
- Turn your telephone’s ringer volume down so that no one can hear it is being unanswered.
- If you have a festive tree in the home, ensure that presents cannot be seen from the street.
- Ensure that your alarm systems are in working order.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Store valuables that you’re not taking with you in safe deposit box or another secure offsite location.
- Avoid posting your vacation or travel plans on social media sites. Potential thieves can use that information to lean that your home is vacant for two weeks!
Avoid winter hazards
- Consider turning off the water supply while you’re away to prevent pipe bursts and leaks.
- Drain all pipes of water before you leave.
- Insulate exterior and exposed pipes so that they do not freeze and then crack.
Using these measures can help keep your house safe and sound in the cold while you’re soaking up the sun or hitting the slopes. Another great way to be prepared is to make sure you have the right homeowners insurance in Hudson, New York. To get the right policy to fit your needs, turn to the experts at Lofgren Agency. Contact us to get covered today!