Complete your Thanksgiving menu with this delicious stuffing recipe!
Stuffing is a tough dish to crack. The store-bought, box-package stuffing is nowhere near as good as the homemade stuff, but then, who has the time to make another dish when there are five others to prepare? Fortunately, this chestnut mushroom stuffing recipe hits the spot – for everyone! It’s easy to make, the ingredients are pure and simple, and it’s delicious with every Thanksgiving meal!
Whip this one up for your Thanksgiving table!
- 1 large loaf whole wheat bread, cubed and dried (about 10 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium-large yellow onions, diced
- 4 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, diced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chestnuts (roasted from 1 lb. fresh, or use jarred chestnuts), crumbled
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ to 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions, celery, and fennel, and sauté for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more. Turn off heat and add the bread, chestnuts, herbs, and olive oil. Mix well, then add broth until the stuffing is quite moist but not overly soggy. Add salt and pepper if you’d like.
- Place in an oiled casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer, until stuffing is crusty on top.
We hope that you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving meal! Be sure to contact us, Lofgren Agency, for all of your insurance needs before the festivities begin. Visit us in Hudson, New York today.