Safety Tips for Motorcycles
The open road is always an adventure. You never know what might be around the bend, figuratively and literally. Because of this, it’s important to make sure you’re prepared for whatever the road has in store for you. While motorcycle insurance in Hudson, NY can help protect you, check out these safety tips for motorcycle cruising.
Driving a Motorcycle:
- Wear protective gear, and be sure passengers are protected, too. Helmets, clothing, gloves, and eyewear can all reduce injury if you’re involved in a crash.
- Choose a bike equipped with Antilock Braking System (ABS).
- Avoid distracted driving at all costs.
- Always ride sober.
- Stay in your lane and avoid weaving in and out of traffic. This makes it harder for drivers to predict your next move.
- Follow at a safe distance – two seconds behind the vehicle in front of you is best in ideal conditions. Allow more time when the weather is bad and road conditions are poor.
- Obey traffic laws, especially speed limits.
Tips for Drivers:
- Be respectful and courteous; share the road.
- Use turn signals to change lanes or merge into traffic.
- Check mirrors and blind spots before changing lanes.
- Watch for sudden moves by motorcycles due to road hazards, such as potholes or debris.
- Follow a motorcycle at a safe distance, around 3 or 4 seconds.
- When passing a motorcyclist, leave plenty of room and do not pull back in front of them until you see they are well behind you.
Safe driving habits and insurance will help to keep you safe on the roads. Whether you need a new policy or are looking to move insurers, visit Lofgren Agency to secure your needed motorcycle and auto insurance in Hudson, New York today!