Whip Up These Stuffed Peppers for National Nutrition Month
Did you know that March is National Nutrition Month? This month is designed to encourage everyone to take a better look at their health and diet. In honor of this, we 've chosen to share a healthy, delicious, and highly nutritious recipe with you. These peppers are stuffed with veggies and plant-based protein, making them perfect for the whole family to enjoy!
- 6 large bell peppers (any color), top cut off and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 €“ 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8oz) packages tempeh, crumbled
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup yellow squash, diced
- 8 oz. package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 can (14oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked rice
- mineral salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute: In a large skillet, heat oil/water over medium heat, add onion, garlic and crumbled tempeh, saute for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, parsley, salt and pepper, and tomato sauce, cook for 2 minutes or so. Add rice and mix to combine. Remove from heat.
- Stuff bell peppers: Fill each bell pepper with vegetable mixture, making sure to pack it well. These are hefty stuffed bell peppers. Cover with lid or tin foil.
- Bake: Add optional cheese on top, cover the baking dish with lid or tin foil, and bake on the center rack for 35 €“ 40 minutes. Remove cover, top with optional grated cheese and bake for another 5 €“ 10 more minutes. Cooking times vary, adjust to suit your needs.
- Once done, let cool a few minutes and serve with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley.
Did you try this recipe? Let us know! For all of your personal and commercial insurance needs, contact
the team at Kneller Agency.